Curly hair can be both a blessing and a challenge to manage. While it exudes natural beauty and texture, styling it can sometimes feel like a daunting task. If you’re looking for an effortlessly chic and versatile hairstyle, a messy updo for curly hair is the way to go. In this article, we’ll guide you through the process of creating a stunning Messy Updo for Curly Hair and adds a touch of charm to your look.
Benefits of a Messy Updo
A messy updo offers several advantages for those with curly hair. Firstly, it embraces the natural texture of your curls, allowing them to shine in their full glory. Unlike intricate and polished updos, a messy updo exudes a carefree and bohemian vibe that is perfect for casual occasions or even formal events. Additionally, messy updos are incredibly versatile and can be customized to suit various face shapes and personal styles. Whether you have tight coils or loose waves, this hairstyle can work wonders for enhancing your overall appearance.
Preparing Your Curly Hair
Before diving into creating a messy updo, it’s crucial to prepare your curly hair properly. Start by washing your hair with a hydrating shampoo and conditioner specifically designed for curly hair. This helps moisturize your locks and reduce frizz. After washing, gently detangle your hair using a wide-tooth comb or your fingers while it’s still damp. Avoid using a brush as it can disrupt the natural curl pattern and cause unnecessary breakage.
Step-by-Step Guide to Creating a Messy Updo
Now let’s get into the step-by-step process of creating a stunning messy updo for your curly hair:
1: Prepare Your Hair
- Start with clean, dry, and slightly textured hair.
- Apply a texturizing spray or dry shampoo to add grip and volume.
2: Create a Loose Ponytail
- Gather your hair into a loose ponytail, leaving a few strands loose around your face.
- Use a hair tie to secure the ponytail at the desired height.
3: Tease and Pin
- Gently tease the ponytail with a comb or your fingers to create volume.
- Take small sections of the ponytail and twist them loosely, securing them with bobby pins.
- Continue twisting and pinning sections until the entire ponytail is transformed into a messy bun.
4: Secure Loose Strands
- Take the loose strands around your face and twist them away from your face.
- Pin them back with bobby pins, allowing them to blend seamlessly with the messy bun.
5: Finishing Touches
- Gently tug at the bun and loosen it to create a more undone and effortless look.
- Pull out a few face-framing curls or tendrils for a softer and romantic feel.
Here are a video about Messy Updo for Curly Hair ideas to inspire you:
Variation Ideas for Messy Updos
While the basic messy updo is a fantastic option, there are various ways to add your personal touch and create unique variations:
Braided Messy Updo
- Incorporate small braids into your messy updo for added texture and interest.
- Braid a few strands before pinning them into the bun or create a side braid that merges with the updo.
- Twist sections of your hair before pinning them to create a twisted messy updo.
- Experiment with different sizes of twists to achieve various looks.
Styling Tips and Tricks
To take your messy updo for curly hair to the next level, consider the following tips and tricks:
1. Add Volume
- Before creating the updo, use a volumizing mousse or foam to boost the volume of your roots.
- Gently lift the hair at the crown area while securing the updo for added height.
2. Polished Look
- If you’re aiming for a more polished messy updo, smooth the hairline using a small amount of lightweight styling cream or gel.
- Use a boar bristle brush to tame any flyaways or frizz.
- Enhance your messy updo with hair accessories like headbands, hairpins, or flowers.
- Choose accessories that complement your outfit and personal style.
Maintaining the Messy Updo
Once you’ve created your desired messy updo, you’ll want to ensure it lasts throughout the day. Follow these tips for maintaining your hairstyle:
1. Use Bobby Pins Strategically
- When securing the updo with bobby pins, crisscross them for extra stability.
- Tuck in any loose strands or flyaways and secure them discreetly.
2. Refreshing the Style
- If your updo starts to lose its shape or become frizzy, use a light-hold hairspray to lightly mist the hair and reshape as needed.
- Gently scrunch your curls to revive their bounce and definition.
1. Can I create a messy updo if my hair is not naturally curly?
Absolutely! Even if your hair is not naturally curly, you can achieve a messy updo by adding texture and curls using various styling techniques, such as braiding, curling, or using hot rollers.
2. How long does it take to create a messy updo for curly hair?
The time required to create a messy updo for curly hair may vary depending on your hair length, thickness, and familiarity with the styling process. On average, it can take around 15-30 minutes to create a beautiful messy updo.
3. Will a messy updo work for short curly hair?
Yes, a messy updo can work for short curly hair. While the styling options may be slightly limited compared to longer hair, you can still create a chic and playful messy updo by focusing on the front sections of your hair and using bobby pins strategically.
4. Are there any specific hair types that may struggle with a messy updo?
While a messy updo can work for various hair types, those with very fine or straight hair might find it more challenging to achieve the desired volume and texture. However, using texturizing products and employing teasing techniques can help create the illusion of more voluminous hair.
5. What are some alternatives to a messy updo for curly hair?
If a messy updo doesn’t suit your personal style or the occasion, you can consider other hairstyles for curly hair, such as a half-up half-down style, a high ponytail with curls, or a loose braid. Experiment with different looks to find the one that makes you feel confident and beautiful.
Final Thoughts and Conclusion
A messy updo for curly hair is the perfect way to embrace your natural texture while exuding an effortless and chic vibe. With the right preparation, tools, and techniques, you can create a stunning hairstyle that enhances your curls and complements your overall look. Embrace the versatility of a messy updo and experiment with different variations to find the style that suits you best. So, embrace your curls, get creative, and rock that fabulous messy updo!